Correct Answer : Option (D) - Airports Authority of India (AAI)
Airports Authority of India (AAI) has signed an agreement with Defence Public Sector Undertaking Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for the joint indigenous development of systems for air traffic management and surface movement of aircraft at airports across the country, which were previously imported.
Important Points :
* BEL and AAI will collaborate to develop the Civil Air Traffic Management System (ATMS) with Advanced-Surface Movement Guidance and Control System (ASMGCS), a complex ground surveillance system that manages air traffic at airports and in Indian civil airspace to ensure safe flight operations from take-off to landing.
* According to a Civil Aviation Ministry release, BEL and AAI will work together to develop the Civil Air Traffic Management System (ATMS) with Advanced-Surface Movement Guidance and Control System (ASMGCS), a complex ground surveillance system that manages air traffic at airports and in Indian civil airspace for safe flight operations from take-off to landing.
* “The current arrangement is in accordance with AAI’s R&D Policy to update its ANS Infrastructure in a methodical, efficient, and cost-effective manner, as well as the Government of India’s ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ missions.” This will lessen AAI’s reliance on foreign suppliers for ANS infrastructure.
* Air traffic control has two purposes: to ensure safety by maintaining separation between many planes and to manage airport operations efficiently.
* In order to guarantee safe surface mobility in all weather situations at the airport, ASMGCS provides routing, guidance, and surveillance services to aircraft and vehicles on the ground.
* The goal of ATMS with ASMGCS is to provide the air traffic controller with a complete air traffic picture of the coverage area while interacting with primary or secondary radar, ADS-B, Multilateration System (MLATs), and navigational equipment such as GPS, Instrument Landing System (ILS), and Doppler Very High Frequency Omni Range (DVOR).
* It also communicates with other systems such as the Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunications Network (AFTN), the Airport Operational Database (AODB), the Airport Collaborative Decision Making (ACDM), and the Centralised Air Traffic Flow Management system (CATFM).
* The system is used to accommodate a significant amount of air traffic, including military flights, in congested airports and airspaces.
* The system includes a Situation Display for Air Traffic Controllers, Surveillance Data Processing (SDP), Flight Data Processing (FDP), Safety Net and Decision Support (SNET), Control & Monitoring Display (CMD), Advanced ASMGCS, and other in-house developed technologies.
* By lowering controller strain, improving air traffic flow, and reducing flight delays, it aids in boosting capacity while also improving safety. ATM activities are protected by a redundant and distributed architecture that provides increased system dependability and availability.